LADWP has issued a Scam Alert warning customers to beware of fraud involving energy efficiency programs.
The Scam: Someone asks for money in advance of providing energy efficiency equipment.
LADWP recommends the following steps to protect yourself:
- Don’t pay in advance – LADWP does not charge for rebates or direct installation of efficiency upgrades
- Check ID – All LADWP employees and contractors hired to work for Energy Efficiency Programs wear identity badges
- Verify LADWP employees – 800-342-5397
- Verify LADWP contractors – 800-499-8840
- Verify independent contractors – cslb.ca.gov (contractors licensing board)
If you are a victim of fraud, call the Los Angeles Police Department – 877-ASK-LAPD (877-275-5273).